Saturday, June 20, 2015

Gym & Training Day 15 Recap


Day 15, almost the end of my 3rd week of training turned out to be FAST #5kFriday!!!

My Hal Higdon's Novice 10k training schedule called for a long run of 3 miles, so I decided why not do a 5k instead since that 0.11 miles really isn't too much more than what I had planned. I actually just looked at my schedule and I should have been running 4 miles today instead of 3!!!

I must have written it down wrong!

Anyway...my 5k training went exceptionally well...

That first mile still is what it takes to get me all warmed up and into my running zone.  I watched the news and the first 0.70 miles flew by.  The music on my iPhone needs to get sorted out.  My "power songs" are great, but everything else is really distracting.

Mile two I kicked up the speed.  I've been experimenting with my speeds trying to get faster for longer parts of my run.  I know race day I'll be faster due to the adrenaline, but I want to shoot for a 60 minute 10k which means I need at least 10:00/mile average.  I struggled a little bit when my form got sloppy, but I focused on my arms and my breathing.

I mentioned "power songs" before and I swear that's what got me through from about 2.75 miles to 3.11 miles.  There are certain songs that I run to that I somehow time my footsteps to the drum beat of the songs.  I can almost feel the beat when my feet hit the ground.


My final stats from the treadmill was 3.17 miles in 32:00!  That's a 10:09/mile!  Next week I'll have to step it up to a 4 mile long run.  I think even though my training schedule was off, what I did Friday was prove to myself that I'm faster and that it is possible for reaching my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment